Friday, August 16, 2013

Selfies. Are. Weird.

Luckily for me, I have missed the selfie wave and I am cynically excited about it. Pulling your cell phone out to take a picture of yourself never made sense to me and although I fell victim in the past, it always left a feeling of complete and utter, "Damnit that was so lame." Its not something I can fully understand, but it gives me good stories to tell, when it happens right in front of my face.

While in line for lunch on Thursday - let’s be real that sounds so tame - on my way to pay for my Qdoba steak burrito fix to my surprise I had "earned" a free one due to stacking up points, better known as ending too many drunken nights waiting in line patiently for the same” burrito fix.”May not mean anything to you, but I refuse to despise the free "earned" lunch.

As I sit down, I arrange my food and the necessary Cholula, in my Kevin Hart voice I think to myself, "it’s about to gooooo down." That is, until I look up and see it. I've seen this situation before and I couldn’t believe it, could not believe someone would stoop this low. I'm not sure how old this guy was, but he was old enough to know better. He was arranging his food, much like I was, only he had placed the food with the perfect setup for a selfie. I'm talking full-out-duck- face-burrito-in-one-hand selfie. The look of disgust on my face could've burned a hole through his soul only lessened by my sudden laughter as I realized he was struggling to get the correct pose. This was really happening.

As opposed to just eating his lunch, he felt the need to share not only what he was eating, but a picture of himself to be shared (I’m guessing) on a variety of social networks. I see this quite often and the level of narcissistic insecurity astounds me.

To put these kind of photos on Facebook or Instagram in hopes of garnering the attention of others is some of the. weirdest. shit. ever. Why would I compliment you for something you had nothing to do with? For most us we had absolutely nothing to do with what we look like, perhaps I should contact these individuals parents and say, “Hey right on for your good genes and what you did on that fateful night all those years ago?”

On one hand, you’ve got to be sitting pretty tall on that high horse to think, “Hey, people want to see a picture of my face,” but along the same lines, there are some obvious insecurity issues to feel the need to search for acceptance through likes and comments from people who specialize in superficial compliments. Hard truth, but the girl or guy you want is not going to constantly feed you cliche phrases like “lookin’ good” or “you’re so pretty.” I understand some people need that, I’m not foolish enough to say I shy away from a good compliment here and there, but compliment my work, my writing, my dry sense of humor - not something so easy.

Certain situations are acceptable and I guess I can understand a few non-setup pictures, but its just not for me. Scrolling a new follower on IG and seeing nothing but selfies is weird. Going to the gym for 20 minutes to take a picture of yourself in the mirror with one bead of sweat on your phase is weird. Taking pictures in the mirror with the toilet seat up behind you is weird. The “I just woke up” or “goodnight” picture I see on my timeline is weird.

They call us millennials, but for more than a few of us we are becoming the generation of “Hey, look at me!”

No comments:

Post a Comment